Welcome to the Town of Greenburgh
News & Information  
  Select News to View

Please select the year.
2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002

Back to Article List

How to get reimbursed for pothole damage
Release Date: March 02, 2019

NYS owned roads are a mess.  Dobbs Ferry Road, 100 B, Grasslands Rd (100C), Saw Mill River Road, Route 119, Central AVe, Broadway (in the river villages)  are all in bad shape -with a bunch of potholes. NYS also owns West Hartsdale Ave but that road was repaved - about 5 years ago (that road doesn't have many potholes).  If you hit a pothole on these roads you may be entitled to reimbursement if the state had pre-existing written notice. In NYS if a motorist goes over a  pothole and the municipality or government entity that owns the road did not receive written notice of the pothole before the damage took place, the government entity is not responsible. 


I have been in touch with the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Commissioner of the NYS Department of Transportation about road conditions on NYS roads. I invited state officials from the NYS DOT to take a tour of the state roads that are not being maintained.  I also asked our state lawmakers to increase the budget for road repaving - state roads that the state is overseeing. The NYS budget will be approved by April 1.  Received some positive news from NYS this week: They have added Dobbs Ferry Road to the list of roads that they plan to repave.  They had promised to repave Hillside this spring (was supposed to be done last year but the bid was awarded late in the season).






You may file a small claim with the NYS Department of Transportation. The small claim information is available at the Department’s website: www.dot.ny.gov. After entering the website, search for “small claims”. There you would find the forms and process to follow.


An interesting article in lohud.com about pothole reimbursements

If there are potholes on town roads please e mail dpw@greenburghny.com. Send me a copy at pfeiner@greenburghny.com so I can also follow up. Claims should be filed with the town attorney's office at town hall. Again- you only are entitled to reimbursement if there was written notice.

Print this page Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Contact Information | Home | Town Supervisor | Town Council | Town Clerk's Office | Tax Department | Departments | Documents & Forms | Town Code | GIS Maps, Tax and Assessment Information | Agendas & Minutes | Watch Live Board Meetings | Public Access TV On Demand | Links | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Employment Opportunities | Town Updates by E-Mail | Pay Parking Tickets Online | Pay Water Bill Online | On-Line Tax Payments
Use Mobile Site

Copyright © 2014 Town of Greenburgh, NY. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Cit-e-Net